CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Lent has begun ...

Yesterday was Ash Wednesday. As a Catholic, I went to church and started my Lent off by receiving ashes on my forehead.
I do this every Ash Wednesday. And, every Ash Wednesday I listen to the bumble heads who haven't yet learned how to stop making asses of themselves
"Wow, I am glad I am not religious so I don't have to put that shit on my head."
"Oh, you are one of those Asher people."
"You have dirt on your head, hee hee."
"You guys sure look dumb with that smudge on your head."

Those are just a few of the comments I have heard throughout the years.

Let's start off by stating, we live in an era where the media covers everything that goes on in this Country and this world. We hear about groundhogs, polar clubs jumping into frozen lakes, the start of Ramadan, etc. By now, unless you are oblivious, most everyone knows what Ash Wednesday is and what it symbolizes for Catholics and Christians.

It isn't shit or a smudge on my forehead, it is a cross of ashes symbolizing my mortality and belief that through God I can turn away from sin.

Why is it that people feel the need to laugh at or scoff anything religious? Are they afraid? Confused? Pissed off? I am more than happy to answer any questions someone would ask of me.

But, seriously. If I walked around and saw a Muslim and said, "Ha Ha, you are one of those towel head guys." Do you think I would get in trouble?

This isn't a sports team that I am rooting for. It is my faith. Laugh at someone who wears buckeyes around their neck or paint themselves in team colors, but laugh at someone who is practicing their faith? Seriously, grow the eff up.

So .... my Lent begins and I am reminded that even mainstream Christianity isn't mainstream. Blessed are those that are persecuted, I guess, right?!

I started my Lent off well ... had our traditional meal of Plotski (not even a real word ... my Mom used to make it for us ... basically crepes spread with jelly and rolled up). I make it every Ash Wednesday, and the kids seemed to enjoy it.

I have given up pop, snacking between meals and swearing ... I think the hardest of the bunch will actually be swearing ... I hate that I have a potty mouth.

Hopefully I can fix that in the next 40 days.

I will also say a few extra prayers for those that just "don't get it" in this world. There are a lot of them ... and they need all the help they can get.


2 remarks:

Anonymous said...

Well written. I agree with you.

Giving up swearing... I should really work on that one as well. I hate that I have such a terrible terrible mouth. It's not classy at all. If I recorded myself and played it back, it would sink in... maybe.

misguidedmommy said...

mmm now I want some crepes please.

I gave up fast food. Which is fine now, but I know the first time I get the boys french fries and I can't stick one in my mouth it's gonna hurt.

The hubs gave up swearing, living with me makes that one hard on him.