CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

My wish list

The question today, that I saw on this blog:



What do you really want for Christmas?

That is a great question. I could tell you the superficial stuff: Wii Fit, Michael Kors perfume, a UCF hoodie, fun jewelry, a Blackberry or Smartphone, new pots and pans, picture frames and art for our walls, etc, etc, etc ...

But, what do I really want for Christmas? Well, I want friendship. Yes, I have friends. Old friends and new friends. Good friends, and yes, even some bad friends. But, I have noticed a shift, a paradigm of some sorts.

I notice this happen every few years. The natural ebb and flow of human relationships. I have seen many of my close friendships strengthen and I have also watched many close friends move throughout the country (or stay behind when I was the one moving).

This year has brought some exciting relationships to the table .... my blogger friends, Facebook friends that I have reconnected with, and some friends that I have made on Facebook that never really were friends, but suddenly, like pen pals, they have become important in so many ways.

I think this is what saddens me the most. These friends that I feel this deep connection with, a sense that if we were in the same vicinity, we would really be close.

Of the friends that I have near to me (physically, that is), I don't have any friends that are like me. You know, working moms, with kids that drive them nuts, husbands that they want to kick in the ass, a strong penchant for wine, cheese and crackers .... and an amazing ability to laugh until they cry.

Am I asking too much? Do you think Santa could throw this in his sack and put it under my tree this year? I have been a good girl ... for the most part ... ;)

So, on my wish list ... I want friends. Some relationships that will grow to bigger and better things over time!

5 remarks:

Confessions From A Work-At-Home Mom said...

Awww, I will be your friend!

Actually, I think I know exactly what you mean. I feel like I "lost" my best friend over the past year, as our lives changed and we grew in different directions. I really yearn for that closeness that I'm now lacking. I hope 2010 brings a relationship like that for BOTH of us!

~Elizabeth
http://confessionsfromaworkingmom.blogspot.com

Mama (Heidi) said...

I will be your friend too.

I can't say that I ever had a bestie, but would love to one day in 2010 (I hope). I love my bloggy friends and re-connections on facbook, but there is certainly something to be said about face to face coversations.

Hoping you get your wish this Christmas.

Anonymous said...

I can absolutely understand this. Being a military family, just about all my friends have moved away. I have some friends here but no one I would consider a close friend b/c we're not really that similar. I'm always wishing to find that at some point. Just a good girl friend that I can go hang out with and that face to face time when I'm needing it.
Here's hoping that we both find that soon!

Anonymous said...

I wasn't going to comment...but... I would like to and you don't have to post it if you don't care to.

Just because people don't have (or don't want) children, doesn't necessarily mean we don't understand you or can't understand your situation and the pressure you're under in your daily life. Sure, I can't "relate" to some of the pressures you face because I haven't been there myself, but it certainly doesn't mean I am not interested in hearing from you or listening to your feelings when you need to talk. Friends serve different purposes in our lives. There isn't any one person (IMHO) that can meet all 100% of our criteria for the perfect friend. I've tried and failed at looking for that person, because I've found that where some friends fall short... others make up for it. Having a lot of close friends who serve different purposes in my life has been more satisfying than relying on one person to satisfy every need I have for friendship. Honesty and openness is something that would help friendships grow and mature... and I feel sometimes that it's hard to find in people. I'm not saying, but I'm just saying.... don't forget about those of us who truly care about you just because we're not mommies. It doesn't mean we don't love you all the same and miss those close times we used to have.

misguidedmommy said...

by blackberry you really meant iphone right? because i just don't know if i can hang out with a pc phone lover which would totally throw off your quest for friends ya know